- Couples is seen to be infertile if
- The couple has not conceived after 12 months contraceptive-free
- The couple has no conceived after 6 months of
- A female is incapable of carrying a pregnancy to term
- A couple that has tried unsuccessfully to have a child for a year or more is said to be sub fertile.
Primary vs. secondary infertility
- Couples with primary infertility have never been able to conceive, while secondary infertility is difficulty conceiving after having conceived and carried a normal pregnancy.
- Infertility investigation shows no abnormalities, but no pregnancy occurs