12 May 2008

Fertomid - 50

Hi you all,

It’s been a while since I last posted anything on my blog, I just didn’t have the time to capture any thoughts or notes, but today I made sure that I make some time to keep you all posted.

As you know by now, our doctor has discovered that I don’t ovulate as regular as what I should. Hey there were actually something wrong with me, I now know after how many years of going through all kinds of test, but I’m not complaining, at least I know now. So on Tuesday 6 May (last week) I got my new prescription from the doctor to start using Fertomid-50. I have to use this from day 5 – 9. Well this is only 5 days, so who knows, I officially took the first tablet today 12 May 2008, and will take the last one on Friday.

Anyway, I thought I’ll give you some information of Fertomid-50, which I’m sure some of you know by now, but for those who doesn’t let me share...

Fertomid-50 is similar in composition to Clomid-50, and is prescribed for the treatment of ovulatory failure in women who wish to fall pregnant. The side effects occur infrequently and generally do not interfere with treatment.

Common side effects include:

  • Abdominal discomfort
  • Enlargement of ovaries
  • Hot flushes

Less common side effects include:

  • Abnormal uterine bleeding
  • Breast tenderness
  • Depression
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Hair loss
  • Headaches
  • Hives
  • Inability to fall or stay asleep
  • Increased urination
  • Inflammation of the skin
  • Light-headiness
  • Nausea
  • Nervousness
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Visual disturbances
  • Vomiting
  • Weight gain

Once doctor will evaluate you for normal liver function and normal estrogen levels before considering you for this treatment, he will also examine you for pregnancy, ovarian enlargements or cysts formation. He will do a complete pelvic examination before each course of this medication. The treatment increases the possibility of multiple births. Also birth defects have been reported following treatment to induce ovulation, although no direct effects of the drug on the unborn child have been established.

Ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (or OHSS, enlargement of the ovary) has occurred in women receiving treatment. OHSS may progress rapidly and become serious. The early warning signs are severe pelvic pain, nausea, vomiting, and weight gain. Symptoms include abdominal pain, abdominal enlargement, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight gain, difficult or labored breathing, and less urine production. If you experience any of these warning signs or symptoms, notify your doctor immediately. The recommended dosage for the first course of treatment is 50 milligrams (1 tablet) daily for 5 days. If ovulation does not appear to have occurred, your doctor may try up to 2 more times.

3 comments:

  1. Stef,
    I am glad to hear that you are on track again and planning. We missed you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefanie,

    Girls you are truly taking this serious. I'm holding thumbs, may you be blessed soon with a bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi stranger!
    Don't get around to read anything about you anymore. As Nats I am holding thumbs for you.

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comment, thank you for sending me one